Provided demand-driven, high-level, strategic green growth technical advisory services to five key Ministerial departments of the Government of Morocco on its transition to a low-carbon, inclusive green economy and in support of the National Sustainable Development Strategy (NSDS), Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs):
- Established and managed country operations in an emerging economy for an intergovernmental treaty-based organization.
- Managed cross-functional and cross-cultural global teams embedded within the government, working closely with the donor and development partner community, private sector, civil society, academia, and other relevant stakeholders to mainstream inclusive (pro-poor, gender, youth sensitive) green growth.
- Managed all aspects of country program operations including strategic planning and budgeting; designed and conducted applied research; formulated green growth policies and incentives; identified, formulated, structured and implemented bankable projects; and mobilized funding for project and program implementation.
- Design and development of a portfolio of 10 green policy and investment technical support projects valued at over US$100m:
Climate action, climate finance, green finance, carbon markets
- Technical support on the design, revision and implementation of NDCs
- Identification, formulation and financial structuring of sustainable projects and programs linked to NDCs
- Designing policy approaches and transaction frameworks under Article 6 of the Paris agreement (funded by the Government of Norway; Ministry of Climate and Environment)
- Advisory on the development of carbon market and non-market mechanisms, carbon market readiness, carbon pricing (taxation, Emissions Trading Schemes);
- NDC Partnership project design, resource mobilization, and project implementation and reporting
- Development of a national Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) framework for the biomass sector;
- Green Climate Fund (GCF) project design, resource mobilization, and project implementation and reporting
- Enhancing Access to Climate Finance in Morocco's Regions for the development of a multisectoral National Financing Vehicle (NFV)
- Design of a climate finance pipeline development capacity building program.
Transition to sustainable and inclusive low-carbon mobility
- Policy development of a CO2 based Bonus-Malus system for new passenger vehicles;
- Redesign of the scrapping and renewal premium program for road transport vehicles;
- Strengthening rural transport by developing shared mobility business models and associated financing packages;
- Support for the transition from the Emission Standard Euro 4 to Euro 6
Green cities (waste value chains, circular economy, carbon markets, renewable energy)
- Structuring an organic waste to energy program in Morocco (OWtE) (US882k in technical assistance and US83 million in project financing of which US20m in carbon finance though the transfer of Internationally Transferrable Mitigation Outcomes (ITMOs) under Article 6 of the Paris Agreement).
- Structuring a used tire value chain and a used tire material recovery sector
- Support for the National Forest Strategy through Inclusive natural capital investment cases for river basin landscape restoration in Morocco